“Do I have to?!”
Starting with a question like THAT when you are trying to lose weight is your first problem! Do you have to exercise to achieve your weight loss goals? YES. Do you have to watch what you’re eating to go down a few pant sizes? YES.
Let’s face it. There is no ‘magic pill’ to make you lose weight. It doesn’t happen overnight, and it isn’t as simple as adding a vegetable to your daily diet - though that is a step in the right direction! While it takes patience and hard work, you can still make the process fun. Here are some tips for making weight loss a positive experience:
- Mantra Time! First, come up with a special mantra or affirmation. Make sure it is short and easy to remember. “I am healthy” or “I will get in shape” are some examples; it’s best to make up your own that suits your mindset and your goals. The second step is to recite them while you are doing your exercise routines, especially when things are tough and you feel like backing out. Say it soft. Say it loud. Say it to remind yourself that you can do this!
- Inspiration Overload. If the mantra is not enough, try cutting out magazine pictures of your “goal body.” We are all guilty of gazing enviously at photos of models who look the way we dream of looking. Select a picture of a model with your ideal body shape, place it near your bed, on your bathroom mirror – anywhere that you are going to see it often! Use these pictures as your inspiration to stick with your program.
- The ‘Real’ Deal! So, what’s the goal? How many pounds do you want to lose in a week? Fifteen pounds? Twenty? Let’s be serious. Your goal should be realistic and attainable in a healthy way. For example, one to two pounds a week is a good start. Take your time, enjoy the experience and remember that this takes time and commitment. Setting a goal will push you to work hard, especially if you are competitive by nature.
- Chores in Style. Household chores are boring, IF you see them as work. Change your perception. Be creative and think of them as an exercise opportunity. How? If it’s time to polish the floor, for example, don’t use the floor polisher… polish it manually. Get on your hands and knees and use some elbow grease! Trust us, you’ll be feeling your efforts in the morning. Toned arms will be the prize!
- Just Add! Unless you are living a very unhealthy, sedentary lifestyle… you shouldn’t have to change too much to lose a few pounds. Go about your everyday routine, but add another ‘fun’ activity. If you are on break at work, instead of having your coffee in the kitchen area, why not go for a walk? Do you have routine chit-chats with your friend on the seventh floor? Stop using the elevator and take the stairs! Remember, little things truly count.
Losing weight and creating a healthy lifestyle is not meant to be a dreaded task. The bottom line is to lose weight and have fun at the same time. Go for it! Be creative! But, keep focused on your goals. The more you improve, the more you will enjoy it.